Sunday, May 17, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours


Yesterday was a day full of service, food and fun. Gene and I attended the annual Austin Single Adult Picnic at church. Since Gene was ultimately responsible for the event, I offered my assistance by helping him shop at Sam’s Club for the burgers, dogs and fixin’s, and I whipped up a Darn Good Chocolate Cake as my own contribution.


The picnic started at 11AM and a small number of people arrived at that time. Within 30 minutes or so, I noticed the sky looked ominous. Gene had just gotten the outdoor grill going and had a few burger patties cooking, when we felt the first pitter pat of raindrops. That’s when Gene directed us to move the picnic inside the church building. I was already on my way, and as if it were my baby, I swept the chocolate cake up in my arms, trying to lean over it in protection, as I half-walked, half-ran to the building. Before I was even halfway there, the heavens opened up, and it began to pour.

Austin hasn’t had significant rain in quite awhile, and it’s been desperately needed with daily temperatures hovering in the hot and humid 90s. I commented to Gene that I couldn’t believe it rained on the one day the picnic had been planned, and he replied that they should’ve planned more picnics last year when it was so extremely dry. Plan a picnic, it’s gonna rain. Wash your car, it’s gonna rain. There are some universal truths we cannot deny no matter how much we may want to.

Although I’m sure the weather kept many of the singles from attending, we had about 23 people show up for burgers, hotdogs and brisket. Oh, and I received another marriage proposal. As you may recall, a few blogs ago, I wrote about a man at a church singles event who wanted to know which sister had made the chicken salad, and when I raised my hand, he asked me to marry him. Well, yesterday while we were all eating our picnic fare indoors, Gene said he had an announcement, asking who had made the chocolate cake. Wondering what he was up to, I raised my hand. Gene asked me if I’d marry him.


Maybe I’m just not on the ball, but I didn’t say yes and I didn’t say no. Friends of ours kept asking if this was an announcement. I thought Gene was just being funny, so I didn’t say anything at all, I just laughed along with everyone else. Gene and I are getting married, though. We’ve talked about it these past couple of months, decided we want to marry and last week even set a date (June 6th), but until yesterday, Gene had not formally proposed. I had asked him not to propose until the waiting period was up on my divorce, which was granted in February, but not effective until May 17th.

Gene and I have known each other for over seven years, and have always been able to talk about anything, so I did ask him later whether the proposal had been “for real” or if he’d been kidding, since I’d been asked at the last event. “Well,” he said “I was kidding, but…well, you didn’t say yes.” He had jokingly told a friend, who was ribbing him about staking out a claim before I get snatched up, “I know! There’s a marriage proposal sign-up sheet in the kitchen for Grayson, and I’m fifth on the list!” Funny man. I told him not to quit his day job.


Later that evening, we joined our friends, Hal and Trudy, at their beautiful home for a scrumptious lasagna dinner. There were five other people there as well, and a group of us went out afterwards to Esther’s Follies, a vaudeville show in Austin on 6th Street. The show was full of very current political satire, fast-paced skits, bawdy humor and side-splitting laughs, as well as a fabulous comedic magician, Ray Anderson. This is a must-see for Austinites and visitors alike!

A perfect ending to a perfect day with my perfect man!

You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.
~ Sam Keen

Love works in miracles every day: such as weakening the strong, and stretching the weak; making fools of the wise, and wise men of fools; favouring the passions, destroying reason, and in a word, turning everything topsy-turvy. ~ Marguerite De Valois

All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand. ~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Let Your Love Rain Down Today, Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment