Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Changing of the Guard


In an historical event, Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th President of the United States of America was sworn into office. Although I did not vote for President Obama, I enjoyed the tone of his speech.

President Obama does have a optimistic desire to unite people of the United States, as well as those in the rest of the world. While I praise him for that sentiment, I will believe it when I see it. It takes an unusual person to lead and inspire others to change the way they behave and think. Change, of course, was the focus of President Obama’s campaign and in time, we will see if President Obama can fulfill his desire.

People do not change overnight. So often, when people speak of change, they are expecting others to do all the changing. Yet, we are powerless over others. I only have the power to change my own thoughts, behaviors, attitudes and words.

I have spent the past fifteen years making a concerted, painstaking effort to evaluate myself as a person, as the woman God created me to be, making adjustments and changes. As a result of these repetitive exercises, I am comfortable in my skin and happy with the woman I am today. Yet, I am far from perfect. Self-improvement is a lifelong effort.

Part of that effort has been trying to accept people as they are. That can be very difficult, especially when I feel others have wronged me. However, it’s not my job to assess punishment. I am tasked with forgiving others and accepting who they are today – imperfect children of God, who are proceeding at their own pace on this journey called Life.

President Obama has his work cut out for him. He has set the expectations high, and the people of the United States have generally become a society of entitlement, rather than one of industry and hard work. It will be interesting to see whether the people will sit back and expect the blessings to come to them, or whether they will be willing to make changes in their own lives to benefit the good of the country and to help each other progress towards prosperity and freedom. Time will show whether President Obama is able to motivate this country to do what is needed to become strong and stable again.

I hope you will join me in saying a prayer nightly for our new President Obama, that he will lead our country righteously.

On another note, I welcome President Bush back home to Texas. Many people I come in contact with supported President Bush like I did. I have no doubt that he will rest well tonight, knowing that the heavy burden of the office of President of the United States of America is no longer on his shoulders. I wish President and Mrs. Bush well in the years to come.


God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And, wisdom to know the difference.


God, Please Bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment