Monday, December 22, 2008

Through the Looking Glass - Part 3

"Through the Looking Glass" by Kenneth Rougeau

With the Durango’s tire fixed, I spent the rest of our second day on the island giving Andrea the Martha’s Vineyard Abbreviated Tour. Our first destination was Chilmark Pottery.


Andrea is a potter with over 20 years of experience and was very curious about the local pottery. We met with the owner, Geoffrey Borr, and spoke to him about the various types of pottery in his shop. Geoffrey and Andrea talked shop, while I roamed the aisles, and Geoffrey gave Andrea a “Potter’s Discount” on the coffee mug she chose.


Our next stop was Martha’s Vineyard Glassworks in West Tisbury. This unassuming gallery for blown glass art is a must-see while on the Vineyard. I love all the colored glass and the display of pumpkins was my favorite this visit.

>
Robert Phillips, a local glassblowing artist, was creating a piece called “Flames” the day Andrea and I visited. The process of creating glass pieces is amazing.


Andrea and I were fascinated and asked many questions of the artist as he worked.

From there, we drove through Chilmark to Menemsha, a small fishing village on the island. Although it wasn’t raining in Menemsha, the fierce wind had turned cold and the sky was foreboding. We stopped to walk the beach for a bit before being driven back to the car by the cold.


What?! No nude bathing? Imagine that!


We also drove through Edgartown, Oak Bluffs and Vineyard Haven trying to find souvenir T-shirts for Andrea, but with it being the off-season, most stores were only open on the weekend.

Brenda Dimovich, with whom we were staying, made us a delicious spaghetti and meatballs dinner that night.


After dinner, a few of my dear friends stopped by to say hello and goodbye.


One of the painful aspects of my separation from my husband was not being able to say goodbye to my friends and co-workers. Although I wasn’t able to meet with all the friends I wanted to, I was able to get some closure with these sweet sisters. Being able to get a last hug and express our sisterly love for each other helped all of us cope with what happened last March.

“I relieve and release your hurt that you may be set free.” –Alice in Wonderland

Let Go and Let God, Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment