Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Turquoise and The Hair


On November 30th, I turned 49 years old. I always know how old I am because I turned thirty just two days after my son was born. So, this year my son turned nineteen. I’m still not certain how that happened. I mean, it seems like just a few years ago we were playing Thumb War in the car, talking like Mexican Chihuahuas. (You would’ve had to been there.) Now we talk about what he’s learning in his anthropology class and his view of the world…when I see him.

My Aunt Mary Lou, my mother’s youngest sister, was also born on November 30th, so we celebrate the three birthdays – mine, hers and my son’s – at Thanksgiving. This year was no different. Ironically, Mary Lou and I gave each other the same gift – a turquoise necklace and earrings. She’d forgotten to take the tag off, and as she tried to grab it out of my hands, I chuckled and told her I’d spent the same amount of money, too. We just laughed and laughed. (Again, you would’ve had to been there. It really was funny.) And, it must be the year of the Turquoise, because another dear friend gave me a fabulous turquoise necklace and earrings for my birthday.


There’s more gray in my hair this year, more than I can pluck out. And, so for the first time, I am thinking of coloring my hair. I may throw care and conservativism to the wind and go RED. Then again, I may just come back with some highlights. We’ll see how bold I feel at the hair stylist’s tomorrow afternoon.

I commented to Mary Lou that I couldn’t believe I’ll be 50 years old next year, that I feel more like thirty in my head. She agreed, saying she couldn’t believe she is 60-something. Mary Lou is quite young-looking and full of energy. I told her that in my mind, I am thirty and she is forty. She agreed and said that according to Oprah (and if Oprah said it, it must be true), 50 is the new 30. We concurred that 60 must then be the new 40. I like it, and I don’t care who said it!

I guess at the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter how old I am chronologically. I like who I am today. I really am grateful for the knowledge that comes with life lessons, but just wish I would’ve read the crib notes instead of stumbling firsthand down that windy, bumpy path I have trodden for nearly half a century. But, what a ride!

On my actual birthday, Gene drove me down to San Antonio to the UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures Museum and for a stroll in the market place downtown. We had a wonderful Mexican food lunch at La Marguerita Restaurant and Oyster Bar.


Then, we headed over to Gruene, Texas (pronounced “Green”) for some antique and specialty store shopping.


I think 49 is going to be a very good age for me! A very good age indeed!

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." --Abraham Lincoln

Enjoy the Journey, Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment