Monday, March 15, 2010

Stolen Sunshine



Something was seriously wrong this morning. The alarm went off, but it was still dark outside. My brain rebelled, “Wait just a cotton-pickin’ minute! It was light outside last week when I woke up!” So, who stole my sunshine and an hour of my sleep?! I want to report a crime!!

Daylight Savings Time was originally suggested in 1895 as a way to save on use of incandescent lighting (light bulbs), which was the primary source of electricity at that time. The evildoer who thought up this preposterous practice was George Vernon Hudson, a New Zealand entomologist. George worked for the post office and in his free time, collected and studied insects. His ideas about Daylight Savings Time grew out of his own personal desire to have more daylight hours in which to collect bugs.


I just lost an hour of sleep because some dead guy on the other side of the planet wanted to add as many bugs as possible to his collection over a century ago. What is wrong with this picture?!!

Scientific studies are often contradictory about the benefits of Daylight Savings Time with regards to energy usage, health, crime and traffic. What we do know, though, is the primary beneficiaries of Daylight Savings Time are sporting enthusiasts. In 1907, William Willet desired more daylight hours to complete his round of golf in the early evening hours and also independently proposed Daylight Savings Time. I wonder how many of our congressmen are golfers?


Besides confusing my brain and body, there are also occupations adversely affected by Daylight “Slaving” Time such as farming and evening entertainment. Timekeeping becomes complicated. Meetings are missed. Travel is affected.

Did you know that Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time? Maybe that’s where I will move – Arizona, a state where I can get my sleep!


Areas in ORANGE no longer observe Daylight Savings Time. Areas in RED were smart enough to never observe Daylight Savings Time. Areas in BLUE are the stupid areas that continue to observe Daylight Savings Time.

I estimate I have had over 12,000 hours of morning sunshine stolen from me. Let this serve as a record of my protest to such a scientifically unfounded, inconsistent and intrusive practice…Daylight Savings Time – the villainous thief of the morning sunshine!

I Want My Sunny Mornings Back, Y’all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment