Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Shuck 'N' Jive


To celebrate my son’s return home yesterday evening, we all agreed to a seafood feast at Quality Seafood Market, here in Austin. Much to our delight, Monday is Dixieland Jazz Night at Quality Seafood, where the oysters can’t be beat! I always order the same thing – the sizzling hot, fresh, half dozen fried oyster dinner. I tried ordering the 9-piece oyster dinner once, but I couldn’t eat them all. Those puppies are huge! Even with the 6-piece meal, I was so full I could only eat half my fried okra and had to pass on my salad.


Quality Seafood Market is just that – a seafood market and restaurant. In fact, Quality Seafood, which has been around since 1938, is an FDA-approved fish processor that buys the freshest catch right off the boats in the Gulf Coast. They even supply some of the local Austin restaurants with fish and seafood.


Gene and my son, Eric, both ordered the combo dinner with oysters, shrimp and cod or catfish. To make matters worse, we also ordered an appetizer of fried calamari! We did our best to devour what we could, and the table next to us accepted our offer of untouched French fries.


The band was great! Aunt Ruby’s Sweet Jazz Babies quartet featured Hot Jazz and Swing from the 1910 – 1940’s era. While they played, a group of young people danced the Lindy Hop, Jitterbug and Swing. I loved watching those dancers and listening to that wonderful toe-tapping music!


Quality Seafood was a great way to welcome my son home. And, Eric even commented, “Now I remember what I miss so much about Austin!” I hope some of what he missed was me. I sure do love my son!


“Son, you outgrew my lap, but never my heart.” ~Author Unknown

“If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it.” ~Sigmund Freud

Let The Sonshine In, Y’all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment